I’ve been going through a creative drought the last few weeks. I’ve got plenty of ideas in my journal, but none of it seemed very interesting to me. I’ve been playing around with some techniques and practicing free-motion quilting on scraps. I decided to try making an artist trading card earlier this week. It’s embarrassing the amount of time I have invested in this 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch piece, however, I do have lots of techniques on this little guy and had to wait for glue and paint to dry. The base fabric is from an experiment last week … I painted and stamped a commercial batik fabric with stars and swirls. I just got my first bottle of gel medium (love it!) and used it to glue on the butterfly from a magazine. Then used my favorite Lumiere metallic gold paint to accent the butterfly. Did some hand embroidery stitches which I’ve never tried before. And free-motion quilting, which I’m struggling with. It did turn out kind of cute.
Speaking of struggling with free-motion quilting, I spent two hours this morning at the Viking store (thanks Bonnie!). I went in with the coupon I received yesterday for the Fab-U-Motion (on sale for $99!). After I tried it on my machine in the store, I decided against it. I have an Emerald with a short bed and it works much better on the machines with a wider bed. I decided to purchase a Sew Slip sheet instead and the fabric really glides nicely on that. Bonnie suggested trying a hoop, so I’ll experiment with that soon. I was looking for some magical tool to make free-motion easy, but I guess only practice will do that!