Fabric Rusting

Here’s my experiment with rusting fabric with steel wool pads. I soaked two pieces of fabric in vinegar and water, rung out the excess water, sprinkled with salt, tore up a steel wool pad and made a “sandwich”. I put the sandwich in a plastic storage bag and set it out on my porch. I weighed it down with two jars filled with water and you can see the rings from the jars on the fabric. I checked it 24 hours later and sprinkled a little water on the fabric because it had almost dried and the rust wasn’t very dark. I let it sit for another 24 hours, rinsed, washed, dried and ironed.

I like how it turned out. I used muslin but next time I’ll try a piece I’ve already dyed and a commercial fabric.

I’m loving doing surface design!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in art quilt, mixed media art, quilting, surface design and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s